Monday, May 4, 2009

How Far We Have to Go


Yes yes, I know many of you have been anxiously awaiting my next blog entry. I have slipped a bit since Barack and Michelle gave me reason for hope -- and I've not been disappointed. But as I settled in from an evening walk, loving the smell of Dad's famous grilled cheese sandwiches, I caught a disturbing news story on TV that demonstrates we have a long way to go. It appears the death of a Hispanic man in Pennsylvania will go unpunished. The victim of a beating from four football players in Shenandoah, Pennsylvania lost his life in a rage of fists, kicks and most disturbing ethnic slurs. Since I watched the story, I've been reading articles and reports about the incident and the community where this horrible crime took place. I encourage all of my readers to do the same and learn about the hate that exists in this town, like so many others, unfortunately. What is most disturbing is at a time when young Americans are exhibiting love, caring and compassion for others like no time we've seen in our history, there is still this much hate in a small American town. And we must all face the fact that this is a learned hate. Young people do not wake up and say "I hate Hispanics and if I get a chance, I'm going to beat one to death." No my fans, they are TAUGHT this hate.
I will not let this horrible act take away my hope that we are on the right path for the future of our country. But I will make sure all of my fans understand we have much work ahead of us before this "hope" can truly be felt. Speak up, speak out, stop hate and when hate does happen, scream and demand justice! Remember

No comments: