Monday, May 25, 2009

Children...these are OUR Children


Relaxing in my comfortable bed after a weekend at the lake, I just ran across an interesting, yet disturbing article written recently in the USA Today. Now, before I share you the link, let me ask you a question. Did you know there are schools set up specifically for homeless children? Yes...there are. In a nation that is filled with so much, there are children living homeless who depend on the goodness of others to educate our future leaders. The article I'm talking about was written by Maggie Rodriquez of CBS Morning show fame (and interviewer of my Aunt Elaine a couple of weeks ago!) and features Justin, a young man who moves from church to church every Sunday -- because he is homeless.

So without going into too much song and dance as I'm exhausted from 48 hours of running around a lake and barking at dad as he floated off in a canoe, I will just ask all of my fans to put some thought into how we can help our homeless children. What should we ask of our communities, business leaders, elected officials and government to ensure in a nation of plenty, children are not faced with such a life? Children deserve more and we, as a nation, deserve more as well. And while you’re at it, don't let it slip your mind that a pet is playing a larger role than many of those I just mentioned in helping this young man with a life of being homeless. I pray none of you, your family, friends or children ever experience what Justin is experiencing. It’s terrible. And how do I know? Remember, I was homeless too.

No comments: