Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sure I Miss Dad, But He's Witnessing History

Has anyone been as cold as I have over the past few weeks? Dang! It's Atlanta -- Hotlanta, but the cold remains. Mind you, I am terribly skilled at dashing down the steps of the deck, relieving myself and returning back to the house for some warmth and a well deserved chewie treat. As the days and nights remain cool, I'm a bit sad that Dad Ed isn't home. No. No. No. He's not doing that crazy ass cross country travel again. Nope. Dad's in Washington, DC witnessing history. When our man Barack won the election last November, Dad decided he needed to be there. I've never seen Dad so emotional as that evening. The election had so much meaning for him, and as I've found out, for all of us. Today, Dad called and told us that he was part of the 300, 000 or so that joined together to celebrate this special time in American history with the entertainment and a short address by President Obama. He's joining a few friends -- one from England -- and all appear to be overtaken with emotion. Dad told us Simon (his pale little buddy from London) had tears when the Star Spangled Banner played and then when Barack spoke. He apparently choked Dad up to, as it proved the importance of President Obama taking over as our president...not just for Americans, but for the world. Wow...pretty powerful stuff I'm thinking! Well since we don't have HBO at the house (what's up with that...they'd never skip a sports network, but no HBO??), I couldn't share in the fun of today's events. But as Dad has said "On Tuesday, January 20, 2009, we are a new nation, one filled with hope and possibility" and that's one event I'll make certain to take in from the comfort of our big couch. I'd love to be with Dad, but if I don't want to hang out in the backyard on an Atlanta winter day, you know that DC winter weather will be ruff! Have fun Dad. We love and miss you and sure our happy WE ARE ONE!!

2 comments:

nanaboo said...

Thanks so much for the post! I have been waiting with baited breath for this report. I was so emotional ALL day watching the inaugural activities. The Yes We Can story last night got me too. Yes, this is the beginning of a new day in our country, and how fitting your Dad is there. Keep the blogs coming.

Chapps said...

I am so incredibly jealous - wish we could be there with your Dad, being a part of history!

(er .. I think you meant to say 'I Miss Dad' in your title, but you're a dog and not expected to spell or even type)

You take care - we want to hear everything when your Dad gets back.